One of my favorite words in the world honestly.
I know that if I ever have a little girl some day I really want to name her Hope. (hopefully that will be ok with my husband ;o) )
Hope wasn't my word for 2011 but HOPE has always been my word. For me HOPE is often that thing that keeps me going in the tough times.
When I feel like life is getting to be too much.
When I see the world falling around me.
When I see disaster here, there, or everywhere.
When all I really want is to be wrapped in his arms or walking on his streets in heaven.
HOPE is what fans the flame- sometimes the very faint flame- inside me.
I looked up the definition for Hope this morning and was a little surprised that there are so many for it.
Some that I'm a fan of some that are just ok if you ask me.
But here's what they are... I've underlined the ones that I personally really like. (Made the ones I LOVE bigger)
1. the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best: to give up hope.
2. a particular instance of this feeling: the hope of winning.
3. grounds for this feeling in a particular instance: There is little or no hope of his recovery.
4. a person or thing in which expectations are centered: The medicine was her last hope.
5. something that is hoped for: Her forgiveness is my constant hope.
–verb (used with object)
6. to look forward to with desire and reasonable confidence.
7. to believe, desire, or trust: I hope that my work will be satisfactory.
–verb (used without object)
8. to feel that something desired may happen: We hope for an early spring.
9. Archaic . to place trust; rely (usually fol. by in ).
10. hope against hope, to continue to hope, although the outlook does not warrant it: We are hoping against hope for a change in her condition.
My preferred definitions are the verbs.
Which to me makes perfect sense, because HOPE is an action. (at least with me)
It's something that moves, that inspires, that drives me to hang in there.
I pulled a few verses that have HOPE as well.
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1
Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation. 1 Peter 1:13
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. 1 Peter 1:3
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, 1 Peter 3:15
I don't know where you are today or what you are going through, I know that this year has been tough for me.
With relationships failing, with health issues, with the state of our country, the loss of life all around us.
All these circumstances can get a person down- I know that it's been getting me down- but we have reason to HOPE, we have our ever present Savour who loves us more than we can imagine.
So lets "rest our hope fully upon the grace" (1 Peter 1:13).
And lets trust that things really will turn out for the best, because that is what God wants for us, even when we can't see it.
May HOPE be the fuel to your faith today.
Here's a little music with HOPE today as well. Addison Road- HOPE NOW