Monday, March 15, 2010

Light...

You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. - Matthew 5:14-16(NIV)






Do you ever feel like you’re hiding your light? You know maybe not totally, but somewhat. Kind of like how they (you know they, whoever they are) put a scarf over a lamp, so the light is there but it’s “distorted” not anywhere near as bright, not giving off nearly as much light and often a different color.


Hopefully you know what I mean. And while that distorted light can be pretty (and maybe useful in some situations) it’s still distorting the TRUE light.


Since most of you who read this know me, you’ve probably figured out that I’m not just talking about actual lamps with light bulbs light. (Hence the reason for the scripture at the top.) That’s right I’m talking about our lights as Christians. Or even more specifically my light. Recently I’ve “distorted” my light, so that it makes it easier on others. So you see, they can see my light. But it’s not so bright, not nearly as bright as it would be without that hanker chief and not nearly bright enough to shine where it “hurts” their eyes. Now don’t get me wrong I’m not saying that it should be offensive, but at the same time I’m not saying that it shouldn’t be. Our lives as Christians should be that light, that thing that leads others to Him, to the truth.And while that light may offend, it doesn’t mean that we should dim our light. The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness! - Matthew 6:22-23 – Now don’t get me wrong, we are not to be the offensive ones. It’s like the whole “you catch more flies with honey than vinegar” thing. We should be sweet, loving, caring…not argumentative. I’ve got some examples of that below, pay close attention to the words in orange and I think you’ll see my point.


2 Timothy 4:2- Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience & instruction.


1 Peter 3: 15- but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

1 Peter 4:8 Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.

Please know for those of you that don’t know me that I’m not talking about judging others. That’s not right, and I’ll be honest as a human being I know I sometimes do that; Especially when I see some injustice going on. We’re not called to be the judge of others. (We’re called to love, like it says above). But don’t be fooled, we will all be judged one day by God. Does that make you nervous? Honestly? It does make me nervous. And I think that it should.


1 Peter 4:5 …they will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

I head to Mexico for my first mission trip of the year on Friday night. There's a lot that I need to do between now and then so if you think of it please keep me in your prayers. And keep my friends and family in your prayers as well as those of the rest of the team. I know that a LOT of people are nervous after what's been going on in border towns lately. But being in the hands of God is the safest place to be. He has called us for this time and purpose and I truely believe he will keep us safe, and if not, well, I've believed my life is not mine for sometime now so if it is my time to join Him above then it will be ok.

Also please pray for the people we will be ministering too in Mexico. That God will work on their hearts. That they will come to know Him and his love for them.

*** PS- I wanted to post this yesterday (Monday) but had computer issues. Yesterday was a better day than Sunday, today is better than yesterday. It's not always easy, doing the right thing, or letting go of that wrong thing. Even with the knowledge that it is time and right. But God doesn't give us more than we can handle, even when we made bad choices and got ourselves into this situation in the first place. Thank goodness for His grace & unconditional love. I'm SO glad that He is not human & loves & forgives better than anyone I could ever know.
This song has been a great help to me these last few days...


1 comment:

S.I.F. said...

I have totally been feeling like I was hiding in from my light recently... thank you for this post!