Monday, August 2, 2010

3:16 & 17

16"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.


I would bet that most of us know John 3:16 by heart if we have been a Christian for any length of time. In fact you may have known it before you ever were a Christian since John 3:16 is one of the most quoted scriptures. But how often, when quoted do we see it with verse 17?

How often do we point out verse 17 to others? 

Especially when we are witnessing to other people?

My pastor read the following 2 verses in church yesterday, and while he wasn't really talking about witnessing, it got me thinking along those lines.

Maybe because I just returned 2 weeks ago from a mission trip.

Maybe because we are talking about witnessing in youth group as the kids prepare to go back to school.

Maybe it's just something that's on my heart right now for some unknown reason.

But it got me thinking.  ...again how often do we pair verse 17 with verse 16?

Have you ever been witnessing to someone, talking up God/Christ and kinda hit a wall?

Do you ever struggle with what to say when they talk about getting their life in order first?

Or do you ever come up aganist those people who often seem like they just don't want to be judged....you know what I mean...those people who tell you "who are you to call me a sinner?"

And how often have you used verse 17?

My guess is not very often- if ever.  I know that's the case with me. 

But really drill into verse 17 for a moment....what does it say...

God sent his son into the world NOT TO CONDEM the world...BUT that the world THROUGH Him might be SAVED!

to me that's something to really think about, to really apply, not just in my witnessing to others but in all areas of life.

Because lets face it, I know that a lot of times I'm sitting there judging others, their actions, their words, their motives. 

And this verse, #17...really applies to that as well.

It's another one of those that kinda points back at you and says...where do you get off judging my people?!

When you read verse 17, how does it make you feel? 


No comments: