Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jam Session Thursday- Whitespace


I loved Bonnie's post this morning, so if you have a moment (and aren't coming from that direction) hop on over to Her Blog and read what she wrote.

Our "white space" is what Bonnie refers as our time alone with God.

She was asking this morning specifically about "When you need rest and alone time with God, is it hard or easy? What holds you back?"

I do want to start by pointing out that I think that we all need rest and alone time with God even if we don't always "feel" the need for it.  Though there are times I know I feel desperate for it. 

Our connecting with God is something that we need to do because our faith as Christians is relationship driven.  And just as any other relationship we need to connect and communicate with the other person there to be able to really truly take advantage and enjoy that relationship.
The relationships in my daily life that I take the time to nurture and grow are the ones that are most often the strongest ones I have. 
Why?
Because I've made the time to meet with those people
to connect with them
find out what's going on with them
to share
and often to open myself up to them

And in doing those things I've built the foundation, trust, respect, love. 

Things that for me are very important in a relationship. 

Things that also transcend in importance in my relationship with God. 

Now, I will say I am thankful that my foundation with him has been built over the years, so that even in the times where I've hit my rough patches my trust seems to stay true. 

But getting to my white space isn't always easy.

There are obstacles, more often than not ones that I've put in my own path. 
1. Busyness is a BIG one for me.
- I often find that I make myself too busy to make time for God.
2. Self Condemnation
- this comes from the enemy I'm sure, but I often think that if I'm not going to "live right" or when I've "messed up" a bunch that God doesn't want to hear from me. 

What I need to remember is that, well, that stuff doesn't matter.
God wants me (and you) no matter what state I'm in.
And I need to remember that often communication with him doesn't have to be a big long time thing. 
Just like the little - good morning text messages or kisses goodbye you may have with your spouse or children in the morning- those things can bring refreshment to a relationship.  Joy to one's heart. 
And just like that happens with the people in our lives it can happen that way with God. 

Almost every morning I have the opportunity to be greeted with something like this....
And what I do with that is up to me. 
More and more often, I try to recognize what is right in front of me out my window on my way to work.
And say - "Good Morning Lord"
taking a deep breath no matter what state I'm in and letting it out, relaxing in that moment and loving him, just like he loves me. 
It doesn't have to be a big long drawn out thing.
Most often it's on my way into work that it happens, while I'm sitting in my car.
It's often not silent
Or planned
It's just a moment
One of connection
And a simple reminder of His love for me, and therefore a moment for me to
Stop
Think
Appreciate
And tell him- "Thanks I love you too".

3 comments:

Dawn said...

"What I need to remember is that, well, that stuff doesn't matter.
God wants me (and you) no matter what state I'm in.
And I need to remember that often communication with him doesn't have to be a big long time thing."

This is so true! Thank you for this simple, yet very important reminder.

Anonymous said...

I also touched on not having a plan. I always love a date with my hubby, but when we have stolen moments together those are so much better and spontaneous. There is no pressure to be intimate. Instead we just are. I enjoyed your post.

S.I.F. said...

What a gorgeous photo!

And an absolutely beautiful post!